This Award recognizes members of the CSZ who have contributed enormously to the well being of zoology in Canada by working hard for the CSZ, often well beyond the call of duty, but in ways that are not currently recognized by other Society awards.
Over the years of the Society’s existence, many members have contributed enormously to the well being of Zoology in Canada by working hard for the Canadian Society of Zoologists, often well beyond the call of duty.
For those who have made significant contributions as researchers, or in public education, there are ways in which they are currently recognized by the Society.
Nowhere at present, however, do we recognize in a formal way the significant contributions that are made by some of our officers, councilors, or members.
This award seeks to remedy this situation, and will be made only when a deserving candidate is identified.
Terms of Reference
This Award recognizes members of the CSZ who have contributed enormously to the well being of zoology in Canada by working hard for the CSZ, often well beyond the call of duty, but in ways that are not currently recognized by other Society awards such as those for research (e.g. Fry Medal, Wardle Award) or public education.
The award is a scroll and an engraved medal, patterned after the Fry Medal, presented at the AGM. The scroll will identify the contributions of the recipient.
Source of Prize
Funded through CSZ general revenues.
Frequency of Availability
Offered only when a deserving candidate is identified. In exceptional, and only exceptional, cases Council may decide to award more than one medal in a given year.
Nominations for the Award may be made to the Chair of the Recognition Committee (the Past-President) by any two Society members in good standing. Nominees may not be current members of Council. The nomination should state the rationale for making the nomination.
At least one month before the December meeting of Council.
- 2015 – Allen Shostak, University of Alberta, who was Treasurer for many years as well as Webmaster, and Parasitology Section Secretary-Treasurer and Chair.
- 2012 – William Milsom, University of British Columbia, who was President, Councilllor,Bulletin editor, CPB Chair, and CSZ representative to the Canadian Council on Animal Care.
- 2011 – Jocelyne Pellerin, Université du Québec à Rimouski, ISMER, who was Secretary and Webmaster for many years.
- 2006 – Céline Audet, Université du Québec à Rimouski, ISMER, who was Bulletin Editor.
- 2006 – A. Saber M. Saleuddin, York University, Biology, Can. J. Zoology editor and CSZ President.
- 2000 – Mary N. Arai, archivist … without her, CSZ history would have been forgotten.
- 2000 – Jim Fenwick who was Treasurer of CSZ for many years.